From Chicago’s iconic soaring skyline to the remote beauty of the Great Lakes, get off the tourist trail and explore an American wilderness that remains relatively undiscovered by tourism. Holidays to the Great Lakes take you through this network of five immense freshwater lakes that are interconnected by a series of rivers and smaller lakes, surrounded by verdant farmland and expansive forests. On your Great Lakes fly drive discover the traditions and philosophy of the area’s Native American tribes who have revered the remote beauty of the lakes for many generations. Visit the largest freshwater sand dunes in the world, cross into Canada and visit the mighty sight of a world wonder Niagara Falls. On your holiday to Chicago, soak in the views from atop the Willis Tower, ride the ferris wheel on Navy Pier and find a dark and cosy blues bar to escape the legendary elements of the Windy City.
What you’ll love most about the Great Lakes
- Explore the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore in Wisconsin, a group of 22 islands with beautiful sandstone formations, sea caves, and lighthouses
- Visit Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore in Michigan and hike through the sand dunes, swim in Lake Michigan, or go kayaking on the Crystal River
- Explore the vibrant city of Chicago, located on the shore of Lake Michigan, and visit the Navy Pier, the Art Institute of Chicago, and Millennium Park
- Visit Mackinac Island in Michigan and explore the charming Victorian-era architecture, historic forts, and beautiful gardens
- Go hiking in the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park in Michigan, known for its rugged peaks, old-growth forests, and stunning waterfalls
- Go on a scenic drive on the Great Lakes Circle Tour, a 6,500-mile route that takes you through eight states and two Canadian provinces, and offers stunning views of the lakes and surrounding landscapes