Located at the confluence of the African and Asian continents, the topical island of Mauritius blends a kaleidoscope of colours and cultures to form a nation that entices with both beauty and wonderment.
Famously described as ‘heaven’ by Mark Twain, the glorious coral-infused waters of the Indian Ocean, the ivory sands of a stunning coastline and the majestic green carpet of the hilly interior truly live up to such a lofty reputation.
Beyond the terrific natural splendour and some of the world’s best diving spots, Mauritius beckons with a melting pot of cultural influences from Africa, Asia, India and Europe, making it a veritable treasure trove of unique experiences and discoveries for families and couples.
What you’ll love most about Mauritius
- Relax on the beaches of Mauritius, such as Flic en Flac, Trou aux Biches, and Le Morne
- Visit the Black River Gorges National Park, a protected area in the south-western part of Mauritius, known for its forests, waterfalls, and hiking trails
- Explore the vibrant capital city of Port Louis, known for its markets, historical buildings, and the Aapravasi Ghat, a UNESCO World Heritage site
- Visit the Pamplemousses Botanical Garden, a popular tourist attraction that houses a variety of plant species including giant water lilies and exotic trees
- Visit the Chateau de Labourdonnais, a 19th-century plantation house that has been restored and converted into a museum and restaurant
- Go on a snorkeling or scuba diving adventure to explore the coral reefs and underwater life of Mauritius
- Explore the historical sites of Mauritius, such as the Aapravasi Ghat, the Le Morne Brabant peninsula, and the Citadel Fort Adelaide