The largest and most spacious of all the US states, the state of Alaska hosts a variety of outdoor pursuits within its vast wilderness. In Wood-Tikchik, Tongass and Wrangell-St Elias, Alaska has the largest state park, national forest and national park in the whole of the USA. The long summers are the perfect time explore these areas and beyond, with glacier trekking, mountain climbing and canoeing all popular pastimes for locals and visitors alike. And whether you’re marvelling at the impressive throng of bald eagles who head to Chilkat river in late fall or admiring salmon-catching bears in the summer, there are also plenty of unique opportunities for those looking to get closer to Alaska’s non-human inhabitants. So if it’s space and tranquility you’re after, as well as the chance to broaden your horizons and embrace a different way of life, Alaska is the perfect destination for your USA holiday.
What you’ll love most about Alaska
- Take a scenic drive or train ride through Alaska’s stunning landscapes, including Denali National Park and the Kenai Peninsula
- Experience the thrill of whale watching and wildlife spotting, including grizzly bears, moose, and bald eagles
- Visit the Mendenhall Glacier near Juneau, and take a helicopter tour to see the glaciers from above
- Take a cruise along Alaska’s Inside Passage, with opportunities to see glaciers, fjords, and marine wildlife
- Hike or kayak through Alaska’s wilderness areas, such as the Chugach State Park or the Tongass National Forest
- Experience the northern lights (aurora borealis), which are visible from many parts of Alaska during the winter months