The largest Canary Island, Tenerife is a perennial favourite amongst tourists looking for a sun-soaked holiday destination all-year round. The coastal areas of the island boast a mixture of dark volcanic and pale sandy beaches on which to sunbath or enjoy a multitude of water-based sports including diving and snorkelling. Resorts on the south of the island include Playa de las Americas and Costa Adeje, both of which offer exciting nightlife and plentiful restaurants along its popular Golden Mile. The north of the island is more laid back with the tranquil cobbled streets of La Laguna and Puerto de la Cruz housing delightful tapas bars from which to enjoy the outstanding local cuisine and wine.
Outside of the main resorts, the capital city of Santa Cruz de Tenerife is a cosmopolitan hub with museums, fine dining and a spectacular annual carnival in February. Meanwhile, a hire car will take you on the less explored paths in the centre of the island where you can bask in the majestic sights and starry skies of the Mount Teide National Park. La Gomera is also perfect for a day trip by boat from Tenerife and offers the chance to see whales and dolphins frolicking in the Atlantic Ocean.
What you’ll love most about Tenerife
- Take a break from the busy south coast and you’ll discover an enticing world of volcanic fields, jaw-dropping mountains, ancient towns and coves
- Head up to Mount Teide for a half-day tour by ATV or at visit at night for a stargazing experience
- Join a small group whale watching tour. You’ll also see dolphins and hopefully turtles too. Depending upon your choice of tour location, it’s a great way to witness the sea cliffs of Los Gigantes too
- Siam Park, Tenerife’s water kingdom is considered by some as one of the best water parks in the world
- Study the local plants at the Palmetum Santa Cruz Jardín Botanico – a 12-hectare botanical garden that specialises in palm trees. There are over 3,000 species of plants in total in the collection from Madagascar, the Caribbean and Polynesia