Kotor is a picturesque coastal town located in Montenegro, nestled between the Adriatic Sea and the rugged mountains. It’s a popular holiday destination, especially among those who love history and natural beauty. Kotor is known for its well-preserved medieval architecture, including the impressive city walls and fortresses, which offer stunning views of the surrounding area. In addition to exploring the town’s rich cultural heritage, visitors can also enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking, swimming, and sailing. Kotor is also a great base for exploring the rest of Montenegro, including the stunning Durmitor National Park and the historic town of Cetinje.
What you’ll love most about Kotor
- The old town is a UNESCO World Heritage site with well-preserved medieval architecture, including the impressive city walls and fortresses. Take a stroll through the narrow streets, admire the architecture and visit the many churches, museums, and galleries
- Take a boat trip around the Bay of Kotor to enjoy the stunning views of the surrounding mountains and coastlines. You can also swim in the crystal clear waters or visit the small towns and villages along the way
- Lovćen National Park is located just a short drive from Kotor and is known for its spectacular scenery, including steep cliffs, dense forests, and deep canyons
- Hike up to St. John Fortress, which overlooks the old town of Kotor. The hike is a bit strenuous, but the stunning views from the top are well worth the effort
- The Maritime Museum is located in the old town and features exhibits on the maritime history of Kotor and Montenegro. It’s a great place to learn about the town’s seafaring past
- The large square of Piazza of the Arms is the heart of Kotor’s old town and is lined with cafes and restaurants