Kanchanaburi is the ideal destination for adventurous nature lovers who are looking for an exhilarating Thailand holiday amongst breathtaking scenery. With features of outstanding natural beauty including historic caves, waterfalls, lush forests, rivers and reservoirs, Kanchanaburi offers activities including canoeing, fishing, rafting, mountain biking and golfing. Jungle and elephant trekking in the tropical forests and the experience of living in a bamboo raft can also be sampled by visitors who wish to get close to nature, whilst the exotic species of birds offer a paradise for ornithologists.
The mountainous north-west of the province, near the border with Myanmar, provides the source for the region’s two major rivers, the Little Kwai River (Maenam Khwae Noi) and the Big Kwai River (Maenam Khwae Yai), which comprise the Maenam Mae Klong. It is in the area that visitors to Kanchanaburi can also see the famous ‘Bridge over the River Kwai’ and see the infamous Death Railway.
What you’ll love most about Kanchanaburi
- Take a boat tour of the River Kwai, and explore the stunning natural surroundings and wildlife
- Visit the famous Bridge on the River Kwai, and learn about its history during World War II
- Check out the Wat Tham Sua, a beautiful temple built inside a cave, and admire its stunning architecture and views
- Explore the Erawan National Park, and hike through the stunning waterfalls and natural pools
- Take a cooking class, and learn how to cook traditional Thai dishes, such as Pad Thai and Tom Yum soup
- Take a hot springs bath at the Praphat Cave Hot Spring, and relax in the warm and therapeutic waters