Johannesburg is one of the most vibrant of Africa’s bustling cities. Many visiting the city do so for a couple of days, enjoying rooftop bars, the restaurants and to soak up South Africa’s past, before heading out to the surrounding game reserves.
What you’ll love most about Johannesburg & beyond
- Spending a few days in Johannesburg will afford you time to explore the markets and shopping malls, the Apartheid and Mandela Museums and Constitution Hill
- Johannesburg has lively nightlife hotspots spread throughout the city. You’ll find a wide choice of hipster bars and dance clubs here. Most of the best rooftop bars you’ll find in the Sandton district
- Pretoria is less than an hour’s drive – or 35 minute train ride from Johannesburg. The city is worth a visit while en-route north to one of the game reserves, especially for large parks and gardens
- There are so many game reserves within four hours or so from Johannesburg. If you’re heading to the region for a safari, you’ll find Madikwe, Pilanesberg, Welgevonden, Mabula and Dinokeng Game Reserves just a car journey away, with the latter closest – just 30 minutes north of Pretoria and around an hour from Johannesburg
- Why not combine exploring Johannesburg and its surrounding safari reserves with a stay in coastal Cape Town, providing you with the opportunity to see Hermanus, delightful vineyards and to follow the Garden Route. A flight from Jo’burg to Cape Town takes just a couple of hours
- If you’re the adventurous type, you could make the journey from Johannesburg to Cape Town by road and build your own epic itinerary to take in Drakensburg, KwaZulu-Natal and the rugged Coffee Bay, the beaches of Chintsa and Addo Elephant Park near Port Elizabeth