South Africa’s famed Garden Route will fulfill all your notions of discovery and adventure on Africa’s southern coast. Dramatic coastal scenery, strange and beautiful wild flowers, close encounters with exotic wildlife and some of the finest cuisine in the world. Spend time in Hermanus where seasonal whale watching is the big draw but you can also enjoy carefree coastal walks and horse riding on Pearly Beach. Inland is Oudtshoorn, famous for its ostrich farming, while along the coast you will find quaint towns and gorgeous boutique hotels in Knysna and Plettenberg Bay. Finish your journey in Port Elizabeth from where you can easily add on a safari to complete your African adventure.
What you’ll love most about the Garden Route
- Visit the charming town of Knysna, located on the shores of a lagoon, to enjoy its beaches, forests, and lively waterfront area
- Hike through the beautiful Tsitsikamma National Park, located at the eastern end of the Garden Route, to see its rugged coastline, forests, and waterfalls
- Relax on the pristine beaches of the popular seaside resort town of Plettenberg Bay and explore its nature reserves and animal sanctuaries
- Learn about the maritime history of South Africa at Mossel Bay’s museums and explore its beaches and nature reserves
- Drive along Outeniqua Pass, a scenic mountain pass located between George and Oudtshoorn, to enjoy breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape