The peaceful sibling of Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai offers a beautifully relaxing alternative to Thailand’s pulsating beach resorts with its history, nature and culture fusing together to provide an unforgettable holiday experience.
Chiang Rai’s rural location offers travellers the chance to go trekking along hiking trails in the lush jungle and explore diverse wildlife amongst stunning scenic views. Visitors can also experience the Golden Triangle, the historic epicentre of the world’s opium industry. Chiang Rai’s hill tribe villages and Buddhist shrines also offer the chance to learn about traditional and spiritual life in Thailand.
An up-and-coming retreat for people looking to cast their cares away, Chiang Rai conjures up a beautiful and authentic slice of Thailand which is a dream for the adventurer who wants to explore off the beaten track.
What you’ll love most about Chiang Rai
- Visit the stunning Wat Rong Khun, also known as the White Temple, and admire its unique architecture and design
- Explore the Chiang Rai Night Bazaar, and shop for local handicrafts, souvenirs, and street food
- Visit the Doi Tung Royal Villa, a beautiful palace that was once the residence of the Princess Mother, and explore its gardens and scenic views
- Take a trekking tour of the nearby mountains and hill tribes, such as the Akha and Yao, and experience their unique cultures and traditions
- Check out the Chiang Rai Clock Tower, a beautiful landmark in the city center that lights up at night
- Take a dip in the stunning Khun Korn Waterfall, and enjoy the peaceful and scenic natural surroundings
- Spend some time at the Doi Mae Salong Tea Plantation, and learn about the history and production of the famous Thai tea