When you head to New Zealand’s capital Wellington, you’re just a short distance from a wealth of exciting things to do, from wildlife reserves and wetlands to vineyards, gorgeous seaside towns and pristine beaches.
What you’ll love most about Wellington
- This ‘cool little capital’ is a laid-back hub to not only experience the superb cafés, museums, gardens of the city, but from which you will find so many places to see within an hours drive
- Playing to a sophisticated audience, funky Cuba Street is a great place to explore for vintage shops, specialist boutiques, top-notch bars and restaurants.
- The city does have an incredible love affair with coffee and is ranked as one of the best places in the world for coffee shops, many staying open pretty late into the night
- Fans of the Lord of the Rings movies are in for a real treat as there are many locations from the films found in and around Wellington including Mount Victoria, Hutt River, Kaitoke Regional Park and Harcourt Park
- Wellington is very much a city on the beach. In fact, there are many beaches to discover here. Each offers something different. Island Bay for best for scuba diving, Lyall Bay is great for windsurfing and kitesurfing action while Makara Beach has some seriously good hiking trails