Costa Brava & Girona Pyrenees – Enchanting Regions of Contrasts
Costa Brava, located in northeastern Spain, is a breathtaking region renowned for its stunning coastal landscapes and vibrant Mediterranean charm. Stretching along the Catalan coastline, Costa Brava captivates visitors with its picturesque beaches, hidden coves, and crystal-clear turquoise waters.
The region boasts a diverse mix of natural wonders, from rugged cliffs and dramatic rock formations to lush green hills and pine forests. Costa Brava also offers a rich cultural heritage, with charming coastal towns and medieval villages that exude history and tradition. Visitors can explore the enchanting streets of towns like Cadaqués and Tossa de Mar, or immerse themselves in the artistic legacy of Salvador Dalí, who found inspiration in this captivating region. Whether indulging in delectable seafood cuisine, basking in the Mediterranean sun on pristine beaches, or embarking on exhilarating outdoor adventures, Costa Brava presents an idyllic escape that seamlessly blends natural beauty, cultural allure, and relaxation. Given it’s relatively compact size, it’s the perfect self-drive destination.
Find exactly what you’re looking for via the links below – or keep scrolling to discover the delights of Costa Brava for yourself:
Region Highlights | Find Your Experience | View Hotel Stays | Read Our Unique Stays Long-List Blog | When To Visit | Watch the “True Wellbeing Awaits” Video
Discover the Highlights of Costa Brava & Girona Pyrenees
Despite their modest size on a map, there’s a world of experiences to discover in the vibrant Costa Brava and Girona Pyrenees. Easy to reach – with cheap, direct flights from the UK to Girona (and just 60-90 minutes for Barcelona), there are eight counties packed with natural wonders, 221 municipalities waiting to be explored. We’ve summarised them to help you on your path of discovery.
Alt Empordà, Costa Brava
Baix Empordà, Costa Brava
Gironès, Costa Brava
Garrotxa, Girona Pyrenees
La Selva, Costa Brava
Pla de l’Estany, Costa Brava
Ripollès, Girona Pyrenees
La Cerdanya, Girona Pyrenees
Experiences in Costa Brava & Girona Pyrenees
Embarking on captivating coastal hikes along Costa Brava’s scenic paths, cycling through Girona’s picturesque province via greenways, indulging in the exquisite flavours of D.O. Empordà wines, skydiving over the breathtaking bay of Roses, savouring culinary delights in Michelin-starred restaurants, immersing in the vibrant ambiance of musical festivals, exploring the wonders of scuba diving, or discovering the enchantment of astronomy… These are just a glimpse of the genuinely authentic experiences that await visitors in their quest for unforgettable holidays in the mesmerising Costa Brava.
Beaches & Coves
- Explore the heart of the Cap de Creus Natural Park by boat
- Take a guided kayaking trip – look out for the coastal caves
- Discover secret coves and traditional cuisine
- Hike Montgrí Natural Park and marvel at its cliffs, fauna and flora
Costa Brava boasts delightful vineyards, an abundance of Gastronomic boutique hotels and more than 2,000 local and 18 Michelin-starred restaurants.
- Delight in sensory wine tasting
- Visit a fish auction
- Join a food tour in Girona
- Discover seven Catalan cheesemakers in an idyllic setting in Mas El Mir
What could be more therapeutic and soothing than meditating in a Girona Pyrenees forest, yoga by the sea or soaking in an idyllic spa pool.
- Enjoy a spa day and the fine wines at Hotel Peralada
- Surrounded by pines and the sand, relax at adults-only Hotel Cala del Pi on Platja d’Aro
- Invite your friends to a stay at Montjuïc Boutique B&B close to Girona Old Town for a yoga getaway
- Experience a magical night under the stars at Hotel Terraza
With over 550 heritage sites of outstanding interest listed in the province of Girona, the range of cultural tourism options attracts millions of visitors seduced by the region’s rich, intense historical and artistic heritage.
- Join a guided tour of Salvador Dalí’s Figueres home where he lived in his younger years
- Visit the beautiful Marimurtra Botanical Garden in Blanes
- Walk the historical bridges of Vall de Núria route
- Explore the Old Town heritage of Llançà
- Follow the historical trail of Peralada
Hotel Stays to Inspire You
We’ve selected a few of our favourite luxury hotels – all set in glorious locations and offering a unique charm and delectable cuisine, to showcase the best stays you can enjoy when visiting Costa Brava.
Hotel El Far
Hotel El Far, nestled on stunning cliffs, offers a truly captivating and unforgettable experience. This boutique hotel showcases breathtaking panoramic views of the Mediterranean Sea, creating an idyllic setting for a serene retreat. With its unique location in the charming fishing village of Llafranc, Hotel El Far provides a tranquil escape from the bustling world. The elegantly designed rooms and suites combine modern comfort with a touch of Mediterranean charm, providing a haven of relaxation. Guests can savour delectable cuisine at the hotel’s restaurant while enjoying the mesmerising sea vistas or unwind by the infinity pool overlooking the azure waters.
Hotel Peralada, situated in the charming town of Peralada, offers a luxurious and enchanting retreat. Set in the midst of lush gardens and vineyards, this five-star hotel provides a tranquil escape in a picturesque setting. The elegantly designed rooms and suites are adorned with modern comforts and stylish furnishings, ensuring a comfortable and relaxing stay. Guests can indulge in the hotel’s exceptional amenities, including a spa, outdoor pool, and a golf course. One of the highlights of Hotel Peralada is its proximity to the renowned Peralada Castle, which houses a casino, a wine museum, and a prestigious golf club. The hotel’s gastronomic offerings are equally impressive, with exquisite dining options featuring Mediterranean cuisine paired with excellent wines from the region.
Es Portal Boutique Hotel
This charming boutique hotel is housed in a meticulously restored 17th-century farmhouse, blending traditional architecture with modern comforts. Situated amidst lush countryside, Es Portal Hotel offers a peaceful retreat surrounded by picturesque landscapes. Each room and suite exudes elegance and character, showcasing rustic charm and contemporary design. Guests can indulge in the hotel’s exquisite culinary offerings, with a renowned restaurant that serves creative Mediterranean cuisine using locally sourced ingredients. The hotel also features a relaxing outdoor pool, a wellness centre, and personalised services that ensure a truly unforgettable stay.
Hotel Rural-Spa Resguard Dels Vents
Hotel Rural Spa Resguard dels Vents, nestled in the serene countryside, is a charming and rejuvenating retreat. This intimate boutique hotel embraces a rustic yet elegant atmosphere, providing a perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. The cosy rooms and suites offer a peaceful haven, adorned with traditional décor and modern amenities. Guests can unwind and rejuvenate in the hotel’s tranquil spa, which offers a range of soothing treatments and therapies. The peaceful outdoor areas, including a beautiful garden and terrace, provide a serene setting to relax and connect with nature.
Our Longlist Dedicated to Unique Stays in Costa Brava
Given we only had limited space with which to share a small selection of hotel accommodations, we thought we’d do this topic better justice by way of a stand-alone article. So take a look at our unique stays long-list via the link below. From boutique properties nestled in charming coastal towns to luxurious resorts perched on cliffs with stunning sea views, Costa Brava’s hotel scene caters to diverse tastes and preferences.
Visiting Costa Brava Throughout the Year…
- Costa Brava in spring offers blooming landscapes, creating a picturesque backdrop for exploration. While average temperatures are around 22°C in May, coastal towns are less crowded at this time, allowing for a relaxed and peaceful experience. Spring is an excellent time for outdoor adventures, such as hiking along the coastal paths or cycling through the beautiful countryside
- Summer in Costa Brava promises endless sunny days and warm temperatures of up to 29°C, creating the perfect setting for beach lovers to bask in the sun and enjoy the refreshing Mediterranean waters for snorkelling, diving and kayaking. Summer is the ideal time to indulge in the region’s delicious seafood cuisine, with beachfront restaurants serving up freshly caught delicacies. If staying further inland, explore the charming villages and their outdoor markets and join in with local traditions and festivities
- Autumn in Costa Brava treats visitors to a breathtaking display of fall foliage, as the region’s landscapes transform into a vibrant tapestry of golden hues. The weather at this time is mild and pleasant – temperatures in October can average about 22°C. It is a perfect season for wine lovers, as the vineyards of D.O. Empordà showcase their autumn colours and offer wine tastings of the region’s renowned vintages
- During the winter, why not head to the northernmost parts of the region to experience a winter wonderland of snow-capped mountains. The Girona Pyrenees become a paradise for skiing and snowboarding enthusiasts, with numerous ski resorts offering a range of slopes suitable for all levels of experience. Enjoy hearty mountain cuisine featuring local specialties like warm stews, cured meats, and artisanal cheese. Relax too and rejuvenate in thermal spas, where visitors can soak in natural hot springs and indulge in wellness treatments